COMMUNITY DAY FESTIVAL: INDIGENOUS BEAUTY
FEB 28 2015
SEATTLE ART MUSEUM
10 AM – 3 PM
Join us for a marvelous free celebration of Native American art, culture, music, and dance!
Listen to live music, make art, go on tours, watch performances, and take workshops inspired by the exhibitions. Grammy Award winner, acclaimed artist, dancer, and storyteller Ty Defoe will lead story time in the galleries and a hoop dance performance and workshop for all ages.
Bring your family, friends, students, kids, parents, and fellow artists—there’s something for everyone.
First 500 attendees of Community Day get in free to the galleries. Tickets will be available at both entrances on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 10 am.
Some of the day's activities:
- Check out a hoop dance performance by acclaimed artist, dancer, and storyteller Ty Defoe from the Oneida and Ojibwe tribes of northern Wisconsin. In addition, join Ty Defoe for a participatory storytelling experience in the galleries.
- Design a comic with local S'Klallam Tribe artist Jeffrey Veregge who has created incredible comic book characters inspired by native symbols and his own tribal ancestry.
- Weave your own necklace using natural materials with artistMelinda West.
- Live performance by Daisy Chain featuring their unique blend of blues, rock, soul, and hip-hop.
- Explore over 100 works of art by indigenous artists from across North America with a family-friendly sketching tour ofIndigenous Beauty.
- Check out even more art-making acitivites with local artists, and stay until 3 pm for a special performance by the Git Hayetsk Dancers.
For more info. go here.